Education Update – October 2016
Eighth-grade teams in Flat Rock Middle School’s Business Education & Computer Science Connections class participated in the school’s inaugural Shark Tank project. This entrepreneurship project, inspired by the hit ABC show Shark Tank, required student groups to bring to life a product idea with a simple marketing plan, messaging and when appropriate, a product sample or prototype. Groups consisted of three to five students. The types of goods and services the groups developed ranged from electronic products to online retail to catering to a bakery.
Group 3 students Kennedy, Kieran, Destiny and Alberto (pictured above) Group #3 came up with a retail bakery concept called the Holiday Experiment and their tag line was “where the holidays are everyday!” The students not only provided the “sharks” with samples of their fine baked goods, the group delivered a cohesive, professional presentation of their business concept.
Seven “sharks” (business leaders) participated providing expertise, advice and knowledge to the students while scoring the group projects. Students welcomed the real-world perspective the “sharks” provided. Community participants included:
- Carlotta Ungaro: President & CEO of Fayette Chamber of Commerce
- Jennifer Barnett: Owner of the Dusty Rose Consignment Boutique in Peachtree City
- Sheila Dusseau: Director of Law Ops & Finance
- Lisa Collins: Director of CTE for Fayette County Public Schools
- Mark Turner : CEO of Turner PhotoDesign here in Fayetteville
- Vendo Toming: Principal of VT Associates, LLC in Peachtree City
- Dr. Ted Lombard: Coordinator of Safety, Athletics and Discipline for Fayette County Public Schools