~ The comments below were delivered by Mike Stachura, Community Committee Chair, at the Annual Summit ~
Fayette Visioning Summit
December 11, 2015
Committee Committee Report
Community Life – Working Group
- Citizen Volunteers + Implementation Partners
- County & Local Public Officials + Business + Non-Profits
Theme: Enhancing the Quality of Community Life in Fayette
Our 3 AREAS OF FOCUS
- TO WELCOME – CONNECT – CELEBRATE ALL COMMUNITY RESIDENTS & Identify New Opportunities for Engagement
- COMMUNITY CALENDAR – increase awareness
- Very active – creative – multi-cultural – multi-event community
- “A lot is going on” …But…”I didn’t know ‘____X____’ was happening”
- FV has developed a website ‘What’s Happening in Fayette’ calendar
- Groups + organizations send their info – we post it.
- FV Community Calendar also links with city municipal events calendars
- One place to find “ What’s Happening in Fayette” today, this weekend….
- ENCOURAGE CONNECTION- Multi-cultural + Multi-generational—through current events & celebrations 2 Highlights
- International Cricket Match (Spring, ’15)
- Significant #s of South Asian & Commonwealth origin residents
- Challenge match: Aventure Aviation vs. Panasonic (partners)
- Friendly match: Commonwealth countries – invited whole community to come, watch, enjoy the fun of multi-cultural event
- Commonwealth Baseball! – Re-match 2016!!!
- Hawaiian Run Thingy (April 16, 2016 – Shake-rag PTC – day after IRS)
- Partners: Business Truett’s Luau/Chick-fil-A + Non-Profit AV PRIDE
- Multi-gen’l: FAMILY – music – games – Island Theme
- 5 K ATC certified run – 1K walk – wheelchair race for developmentally challenged.
- Special Needs Community: Southside Support (non-p) provided care facilities for adults/kids with special needs
- Multi-cultural: Food from different nations – dances – Festival for families, whole community
- Expand in 2016
- (FOCUS) FOSTER LEADERSHIP + CIVIC ENGAGEMENT for ALL Generations & Ethnic Groups.
- Ensure K – 12 Leadership Training opportunities – 21st century
- Community Leadership Engagement Opportunities – education + Local govt. + non-profits
- Young Professionals: pipeline to serve and lead now in these areas + professions
- HIGHLIGHT: Fayette Youth Leadership Program – collaborate
- Partnership: FCBOE + AV Pride
- Select 40 High School students – all 4 schools
- Year – long Leadership skills development
- Mentoring, Workshops + Training w/ civic, business, + non-profit groups
- Underage Drinking Initiative: Judge GLENDA HATCHETT – Macintosh HS – program, drama, small groups, led, planned, developed
- (FOCUS) SUSTAIN FAYETTE’S EXCELLENCE IN PUBLIC HEALTH & SAFETY.
- Consistently ranked as one of Georgia’s top of the list communities in both SAFETY and WELLNESS.
- .… one of the SAFEST and HEALTHIEST communities in GA
- ….. Keep it that way AND even increase our well-being in these areas
- HIGHLIGHT: Sheriff’s Citizen Academy.
- Goal: “Better partnership and communication” Community & Sheriff
- Goal: “CLOSE THE GAP” between perception and reality re: Law enforcement and safety in our community
- 2 classes – 25 members – 12 weeks each – Tuesday nights
- Arrests – Drug IDs – Jail – Court Operations
- Comprehensive insider view of Law Enforcement & Safety
- 2016 class — already full!
- HIGHLIGHT: Community Health Assessment, focus on medically fragile persons. True collaborative effort
- Partners: PF Hospital – Public Health – Fire Depts. – Emergency Mgmt. Services – Fayette Senior Services – (non-profits): Fayette Care Clinic – Real Life Center – Macintosh Trail
- How to better care for medically fragile and aging population
- Great Place to Live!
- Community with lots of diverse cultural and recreational activities, now better communicated and connected
- Community with expanding multi-cultural events + leadership opportunities for youth & young professionals
- Keep Fayette County – Top of the List in Safety and Wellness!
~ If you are interested in joining the Community Committee, or learning more about the work they are doing, please email a request to join the newsletter to Fayette@fayettevisioning.com. Or you can visit the Community Page at http://fayettevision.org/implementation/Community/ ~